The Chapter Summary Questions are below:
- Describe Jonas’ community.
- Describe Jonas’ family. What do his parents do?
- Who is Asher?
- What is the word that Jonas feels? Why?
- What is “release”?
- What do they discuss in their ritual of feeling sharing?
- What is this “Ceremony of 12”?
- What happens every December?
- What happens when children become Ones? Nines?
- Who is the Receiver and how are rules changed? (p. 14)
- Who is Gabriel and why is Jonas’ father worried about him (ch. 1)?
- Why is the Ceremony of 12 so important?
- What things do Jonas’ parents share with him about their memories of their assignments and of their friends’ assignments?
- What did Jonas notice about the apple?
- How do all evenings end in the community?
- What else do you learn about the community from this chapter?
- What about birthmothers?
- What happens to Eights?
- Where does Jonas spend his volunteer hours? What does he do? What do you learn?
- What happens at release?
- What was Jonas’ dream?
- What are stirrings?
- What does Jonas have to do now that he has had stirrings?
- Why do you think he has to do that?
- What happened to Sevens?
- Why wasn’t Gabriel at the Naming?
- What was the Ceremony of Loss?
- What else do you learn about release?
- What happened for Tens and Elevens?
- How do people get spouses and children?
- What is Jonas’ number? How are they assigned numbers?
- What is Asher’s assignment?
- Page 56, “Thank you for your childhood.” Explain.
- Why do you think Jonas was skipped?
- What is the difference between “assigned” and “selected”?
- What is Jonas selected to do?
- What attributes does Jonas have that will help him in his assignment?
- What is this “capacity to see beyond”?
- In this chapter, Jonas receives his rules. What does he think of each rule?
- How is Jonas treated by the secretary?
- What is different at the Receiver’s home? (whole chapter)
- What is the Giver’s job? What must he give Jonas?
- Page 78, what does this mean: “I am so weighted with them.”?
- What is Jonas’ first memory?
- What is Jonas’ reaction to the first memory? What about the Giver?
- What happened to snow?
- What is Jonas’ second memory?
- What is Jonas’ third memory?
- What is Jonas’ title?
- What is Jonas beginning to see?
- How does the Giver help him?
- What happens to color in this community (vs. in memory)?
- What is Jonas’ opinion of sameness?
- What causes frustration for Jonas?
- What is Jonas’ first startling and disturbing memory? What is his reaction?
- Is the Giver married? Explain about his marriage relationship.
- Why is a Receiver necessary in the community?
- What does Jonas wonder about when he’s not with the Giver?
- Why does the Giver sometimes send him away?
- What is the first painful memory and what is its effect on Jonas?
- What do he and the Giver have to hold painful memories?
- Why can’t everyone have memories, to share?
- What’s wrong with Gabriel?
- What happens when twins are born?
- How does Jonas comfort Gabriel? What does he think of this?
- What is this memory and what is its result on Jonas?
- What are some good memories?
- What is the Giver’s favorite memory? Explain.
- How does Jonas feel about this memory? What are some advantages and disadvantages of this?
- What happens when Jonas discusses this feeling with his parents?
- What is Jonas’ relationship to Gabriel now?
- How does Jonas break the rules at the end of this chapter? What implications will this have?
- How is Jonas changing?
- What is his reaction to his friends’ game of “war”?
- What are his feelings?
- What is Lily’s talent?
- Explain what happened to Rosemary and its impact on the community.
- Page 145, what do they contemplate?
- What is release?
- What are Jonas’ feelings after obtaining this new knowledge?
- What are their insights about memory?
- Which of the senses did the Giver have? What was special to him that he hadn’t yet shared?
- What is their plan for creating change in the community? (whole chapter)
- Why did the plan change?
- What rules did he break?
- What was their travel ritual?
- How did he know they were looking for him? How did he hide?
- What happened to his memories?
- How was the landscape changing?
- What are new dangers?
- What was the weather like?
- What happened to the bicycle?
- How does this book end? Discuss it.